Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Serious issues, should I start over?

2010-01-31 21:31:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Serious issues, should I start over?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:28:53 -0500
On 01/31/10 20:46, Eric Downing wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies. Here's where I am:
>
> I'm able to use bconsole to get the status of the various demons however
> what I don't understand is the passwords. I've tried copying the
> passwords from bacula-dir.conf into the corresponding bacula-fd and
> bacula-sd files however I keep getting the connection refused error when
> console tries to connect to the storage and file daemons. What are these
> passwords supposed to be and how do they correlate? I feel like the
> bacula-dir contains the "master" passwords for the fd and sd - is that
> correct? Should I modify the randomly generated passwords in there and
> then copy those to their corresponding SD and FD.conf files? Thanks for
> any light you can shed on this. I just know this is a simple fix.

The passwords don't have to be randomly generated, and don't have to
look like hashes (that's just what's easiest to randomly generate).  You
could change them all to Fred and it would work.  The only requirement
is that the SD password be the same wherever it is used, and so on.  So
when you're setting up a bacula-fd.conf on client wazoo and putting in
that Foobar-dir is allowed to connect to it using password Indigo, then
the bacula-dir.conf on foobar needs to say that the Director's name is
Foobar-dir, and the Client record for wazoo needs to say that the
password to be used with that Client is Indigo.

Does that make sense?

And, I was serious - to start with, just to remove all possible password
issues from contention until you get it sorted out, you should consider
literally changing ALL the passwords to (for example) Fred for testing
purposes.  (Or "password", or your favorite ten digits from pi, or ...
whatever.)  You can reset them later, one set at a time, and if
resetting them to individual unique passwords breaks something, you'll
know you misunderstood what the sets are that have to match, and can
re-examine that.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.