Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Serious issues, should I start over?

2010-01-31 01:52:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Serious issues, should I start over?
From: Eric Downing <ripeart AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 01:49:18 -0500
OK, giving up. I think I've muddied things up too much so I'm going to restore from a clean backup.

Are there any good step by steps out there? I imagine the ones I'm using aren't working. I'm looking to first backup the local box (to a USB drive) then make the leap to backing up my various boxes around the house here. OS is Ubuntu 9.04 (Deb5)

Thanks!
Eric

Eric Downing wrote:
Hi,

New to bacula, semi-new to Linux. So I'm having some serious problems getting bacula up and running. I have read the Bacula quick start and skimmed the rest, I'm fairly certain I understand the fundamentals. I followed a guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bacula

The first issue is I cannot connect to the console using bconsole. The error cited is:
Fatal error: bsock.c:129 Unable to connect to Director daemon on localhost:9101. ERR=Connection refused
Whilst looking that one up, I was tailing /var/log/bacula/log and noticed:
31-Jan 01:13 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not open Catalog "MyCatalog", database "bacula".
31-Jan 01:13 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: mysql.c:194 Unable to connect to MySQL server.
Database=bacula User=bacula
MySQL connect failed either server not running or your authorization is incorrect.
31-Jan 01:13 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
In MySQL there actually is no bacula database, so I created it and still got the same error. I also checked that the bacula password for MySQL and the password defined in /bacula-dir.conf were synced.

Seeing as how these seem to be serious errors, should I wipe and restart? Or do you think these could be fixable?

Thanks,
Eric