Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on Netgear ReadyNAS backs up way too much

2010-01-27 10:10:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on Netgear ReadyNAS backs up way too much
From: Ben Laurie <ben AT links DOT org>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:32:35 +0000
On 27/01/2010 13:50, Dan Langille wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:
>> Firstly: apologies if this issue is well known, gmane says this list
>> either doesn't exist or is not indexed, so I can't search it :-(
>
> Try marc.info
>
>> I installed Bacula 3.0.3 from source on my ReadyNAS as a client to my
>> FreeBSD 3.0.3 server. It seems to work OK, but incremental and
>> differential backups back up far more than they should (10s of GBs, when
>> the changes should be more or less none, or a GB or two at most), is
>> this well known, if so, what do I do about it? If not, how would I go
>> about diagnosing the problem?
>
> How do you know Bacula is *not* doing the tight thing?
>
> Bacula works on mtime (in general).  If the file has been modified,
> it'll be backed up.
>
> Doesn't sound like a bug so far.

The evidence is somewhat circumstantial, I'll admit, becuause I haven't
figured out how to tell exactly what it is backing up (how do I do that?
"list files jobid=<blah>" gave me an empty list, for example), but I've
seen it backing up at least some of my mp3 collection, including files
which have not been modified. The collection used to live on a FreeBSD
machine and did not get modified there, so I have no particular reason
to think it is getting modified on the ReadyNAS, and indeed a find .
-mtime -30 shows that only the expected files (i.e. new rips) are more
recent.

Another way to look at it is pretty much everything on the ReadyNAS used
to be on some other system, but since I moved it, the backup volume has
gone _way_ up.

And another is that an incremental the day after a full is backing up
about 1/3 of the total disk used (i.e. about 50 GB out of 150) and
there's just no way 50 GB of mostly static stuff (mp3s and photos) has
been modified (at least, not intentionally, but that seems to be
confirmed by find as above).

Cheers,

Ben.

--