Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] General backup advice

2010-01-24 19:02:46
Subject: [Bacula-users] General backup advice
From: RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <king AT computerking DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:23:32 -0700 (MST)
Hello all I have some questions about the best, safest, or most correct way to
do a backup of my system.  I have been using Bacula for years now however alot
of it still confuses me heehee.  I am backing up the important bits or my
Ubuntu based operating system on a remote server in another location.  I have
even gone so far as to backup my MySQL databases with the helpful instructions
and scripts found on the bacula wiki page thank you.  Until recently I could
not backup the whole system as bandwidth were i live is too expensive so only
the important files get backed up nightly

However I have purchased a large external USB hardisk, as i have had to do
several bare metal recoveries using the remote backups of bits, and pieces of
my file system and live installation disk.  This is a less than ideal system to
say the least, it is infact very complicated, stressful, sometime i get
nightmare about it heehee.

So here are my questions I have a fairly complicated mixture of software raid 0
and raid 5 including a bunch of LVM partitions.  This is all stored on three
SCSI disks and i wish to back it all up in the best manner possible onto the
large external USB drive I think the mount command sums things up nicely.

mount
/dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-home on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg0-var on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdd1 on /usr/local/backups type ext3 (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)

I think i should use raw partitions as this would make the backup/restore
process alot less painful something simple in the bacula file like below.  Does
Bacula do software RAID????? do i need the sparse switch for it enabled?
However with this I could boot the machine from my rescue disk fdisk some new
drives create software raid partitions, and dump everything back using Bacula
right.  Hoping not to have to mess with the LVM stuff as it would be included
right, and i could just run my database backup script.  Oh yes and i almost
forgot do i need to umount these first as that may be very difficult or
impossible i'm not sure i have never tried? if umounted the database problem
would solve itself?

  FileSet {
  Name = "localsystem-usb-fileset"
  Ignore FileSet Changes = Yes
    Include {
    Options {
     signature = MD5
     Compression=GZIP
    Sparse=YES
    }
        File = /dev/md0  # /boot software raid 0 mirror
        File = /dev/md1  # / software raid 5
        File = /dev/md2  # SWAP software raid 5 probably do not need to back it
up
        File = /dev/md3  # used for LVM software raid 5

Or should i backup the LVM partitions like this I think then i could make
snapshots or something and get my databases too. Also i do not think i would
have so much trouble umounting these if necessary the only real draw back i can
see is i would have to add creating LVM during restore process which is not
really that big of a deal.  I guess i should go off and read the lvm wiki page
on the bacula site now!

        File = /dev/md0
        File = /dev/mapper/vg0-home on /home type ext3 (rw)
        File = /dev/mapper/vg0-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw)
        File = /dev/mapper/vg0-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
        File = /dev/mapper/vg0-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
        File = /dev/mapper/vg0-var on /var type ext3 (rw)

Or should i just use what i have now and go through the whole make raid then
lvm then dump files back then fix databases?

RunScript {
 Command = "/usr/local/backups/automysqlbackup.sh.2.5"
 RunsWhen = Before
 RunsOnClient  = No
 Fail Job On Error = No
}
}

FileSet {
  Name = "localsystem-usb-fileset"
  Ignore FileSet Changes = Yes
    Include {
    Options {
     signature = MD5
     Compression=GZIP
    }
        File = /
        File = /boot
        File = /var
        File = /home
        File = /opt
        File = /usr
        File = /usr/local/backups
# these are in testing
        File = /var/lock
        File = /var/run
        File = /dev

Computer King                   CaN-Mail                    Surveillance King
http://computerking.ca     http://canmail.org      http://surveillanceking.net

Surveillance - Sales Service - Hosting Backup
Internet Based Surveillance Systems
Custom Service Pac kages
Secure IMAP Email - Automated Remote Backups - Photo Blogs - Online ERP and
Accounting Packages

Computer King                   CaN-Mail                    Surveillance King
http://computerking.ca     http://canmail.org      http://surveillanceking.net

Surveillance - Sales Service - Hosting Backup
NEW!!! Internet Based Surveillance Systems
Custom Service Pac kages
Secure IMAP Email - Automated Remote Backups - Photo Blogs - Online Accounting
Packages