Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Maximum Jobs Per Volume

2010-01-24 00:41:27
Subject: [Bacula-users] Maximum Jobs Per Volume
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:14:11 +1100
There is a "Maximum Volume Jobs" option that restricts the number of
jobs that can be written to a volume. I am using disk based storage with
1 job per volume so I have it set to 1.

Last night my disk ran out of space, so I ended up with tens of volumes
in 8 pools with just a little bit written to each. Bacula would start a
job, run out of space, and start a new volume. This went on for a bit
because I have multiple concurrent jobs all writing to the same disk so
previous volume's were being freed up.

Because all the volumes that were created last night have volume
retention dates that will protect them for 3 weeks, I'm going to run out
of volumes in the pool in a bit under 3 weeks time. I need to purge all
the errant volumes, which is going to take quite a while (each purge
takes a few minutes to run...)

If there was a setting called "Maximum Volumes Per Job" that I could set
to 1 then it would avoid this problem. I'd have a whole lot of jobs
fail, but they effectively failed anyway and I wouldn't be left with
such a mess to clean up...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

James