Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] maximum size per job

2010-01-19 09:54:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] maximum size per job
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:51:46 -0500
Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 01/19/10 08:56, mangabbs AT hotmail DOT com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like that bacula truncate the backup. IMHO it is really important
>> and
>> I'll explain you why.
>>
>> Lets assume you backup multiple server, each server has is own backup
>> policy.
>> You have a total of storage space of 100GB.
>> You have 10 server, each one with 10gb of space to be backed up.
>>
>> One night, one of the server become crazy and you have20 GB of data to
>> backup
>> instead of 10.
>>
>> This way you will probably loose more than one backup job, because the lack
>> of
>> space.
>>
>> Please consider that this is a normal behaviour in our environment (anybody
>> else need more space for bacula? :)). When you do not control directly the
>> FD
>> clients, your backup strategies cannot be planned carefully because depends
>> from the System Administrator that can do mistake, can forget the global
>> backup policies, and usually simple do not think that the backup storage
>> space
>> is not unlimited.
>
> At the risk of sounding uncaring, it's not Bacula's job to enforce disk
> quota policies.  The answer to this problem is to allocate a per-client
> storage area for data that will be backed up, with strict quotas on the
> filesystem.  Alternately, if setting disk quotas is not an option, one
> could implement a run-before-job task on the client that checks how much
> data is in the directory (or directories) to be backed up, and
> administratively fails the backup if the allocated 10GB backup quota is
> exceeded.
>
> This is not a Bacula problem, it's a general IT administration problem,
> and adding a feature to Bacula that intentionally truncates backups is
> not the way to solve it.

I didn't think this was disk quota.  But now I see what it can be viewed
as such.  I think should like that is a better solution than the following.

One option:

- Create a pool for each client
- set max volume size * max volume count = MAX SIZE for this client

Done.

That way, a given client can only have a toal of XGB of backups, not
necessarily XGB per backup.