Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] maximum size per job

2010-01-19 08:58:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] maximum size per job
From: mangabbs AT hotmail DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:56:39 +0100
Hello,

I would like that bacula truncate the backup. IMHO it is really important and
I'll explain you why.

Lets assume you backup multiple server, each server has is own backup policy.
You have a total of storage space of 100GB.
You have 10 server, each one with 10gb of space to be backed up.

One night, one of the server become crazy and you have20 GB of data to backup
instead of 10.

This way you will probably loose more than one backup job, because the lack of
space.

Please consider that this is a normal behaviour in our environment (anybody
else need more space for bacula? :)). When you do not control directly the FD
clients, your backup strategies cannot be planned carefully because depends
from the System Administrator that can do mistake, can forget the global
backup policies, and usually simple do not think that the backup storage space
is not unlimited.

I'm preparing a test environment with SD that use quota over volumes. This way
I think I can solve the problem, but I would really appreciate a SOFT_QUOTA
and HARD_QUOTA directives to job section that email the backup operator when
soft quota has been reached, and log when hard_quota has taken.

Please consider it.

Thank you,
Lorenzo