Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] adding exclude to fileset forces a full backup

2010-01-15 08:08:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] adding exclude to fileset forces a full backup
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:42:06 +0000
Hi,

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Silver Salonen wrote:

> > I was taken by surprise recently when I added an exclude to a fileset and
> > triggered a full backup.  I guess the rule is "any changes to the fileset
> > will trigger a full backup" but is that really necessary on an exclude?
>
> There's an option "Ignore Fileset Changes" for not triggering full backup on
> every change.

That's great, thanks.  The manual is a little unclear on the effect of this
though (except to point out that you lose guarantees).

http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001470000000000000000

If, for example, I exclude "c:\pagefile.sys", will that exclusion be
completely ignored until the next scheduled full backup (ie will it keep
backing it up until then)?

If you're using accurate incremental backups and run a virtualfull, is that
equivalent to a full for these purposes, or does a real full backup have to
be run?

Many thanks for your help,
Gavin