Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP encryption and Bacula

2010-01-08 09:52:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP encryption and Bacula
From: Steve Polyack <korvus AT comcast DOT net>
To: "Brian C. Huffman" <bhuffman AT etinternational DOT com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 09:49:31 -0500
On 01/08/10 09:13, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm having trouble backing up a Windows XP machine that has a directory
> (and everything below it) selected for encryption (properties on the
> directory).  I'm getting "ERR=Access is denied" for the files.  It's
> confusing, b/c it's still reading the full directory structure and
> encryption shouldn't stop "reading" of the file, only decrypting would
> be an issue.
>
> The server is running 2.4.2 and the client is also running a 2.4 version
> (may be higher minor rev).
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this sort of situation or thoughts?

I could be wrong, but afaik reading a file that is "encrypted" using
Windows' built-in folder&file encryption reuires that windows decrypts
the file upon reading.  Furthermore, if the bacula-fd service is running
as a different user than the user who has encrypted the file, it will
not be able to access it.  This is probably why you are seeing "Access
is denied".