Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple SD's

2010-01-06 08:14:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple SD's
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: Daniel Holtkamp <holtkamp AT riege DOT com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:11:56 -0500
Daniel Holtkamp wrote:
> Hello !
>
> On 1/5/10 6:40 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Brian Debelius wrote:
>>> I want to see if having disk storage on one sd process, and tape storage
>>> on another sd process, would increase throughput during copy jobs.
>> Actually, it'll decrease it rather drastically.  All the way to none.
>
> Good laugh there :)
>
>> You see, at the present time you cannot copy or migrate from one SD to
>> another.  Copy and migration operations can only occur between devices
>> attached to a single SD, because SDs cannot yet communicate directly
>> with one another, which they would need to do to perform inter-SD copies
>> or migrations.
>
> My company has requested this feature (copy jobs between multiple SDs)
> and is willing to pay half of what Bacula Systems wants for
> implementing. They asked for 10k€ and we are willing to pay 5k€.
>
> Our main reason to request this feature is that we can have a central
> director in our office, a SD in our office and a SD in the datacenter.
> We could then do a (local) backup in the datacenter and copy those jobs
> to our office-sd during off-hours. And from there they get copied to
> tape for achival.
>
> It would be great if we could find more people willing to commit money
> to this feature. On the other hand if any devs feel up to the task and
> the 5k€ we offer is enough that would be great too.

It's one of the problems I've been planning to look at myself, once I
have a current dev environment on my workstation again.  I plan to get
my feet wet again with a few simpler issues first though.

I want this capability too, and for similar reasons.  All of my nightly
backups run to a disk pool, but I'd like to copy Full backups to tape
after running.  However, the SCSI tape drive is on a physically separate
machine on the other side of a wall from the disk server, and I'm not
comfortable with putting a tape drive where the disk server is, tape
being rather more sensitive than disk in terms of environmental limits.
 (My server room is heated only by the servers, and can get pretty cold
in winter.)

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.