Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic labeling does not work

2010-01-05 18:25:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic labeling does not work
From: Karsten Schulze <KaSchulze AT web DOT de>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 00:22:58 +0100
> > System: Debian Squeeze (testing), Bacula V3.0.2. and MySQL v5.1.41
> >
> > At the moment I test some configurations before I want to use it on the
> > live system.
> > My question sounds pretty basic - but I couldn't find an answer in
> > several forums.
> >
> > I have configured the system to write the backup to disk and the
> > labeling should be done automatically.
> > I have also tried several different settings - but without success.
> >
> > bacula-dir.conf:
> > Pool {
> >  Name = Default
> >  Pool Type = Backup
> >  Recycle = Yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> > Volumes
> >  AutoPrune = Yes                     # Prune expired volumes
> >  Volume Retention = 9 days
> >  Label Format = "Volume-"
> >  Maximum Volume Bytes = 1g
> >  Maximum Volumes = 3
> > }
> >
> > bacula-sd.conf:
> > Device {
> >  Name = FileStorage
> >  Media Type = File
> >  Archive Device = /automnt/backupdisk/Daten/Backup
> >  LabelMedia = Yes
> >  Random Access = Yes
> >  Maximum Volume Size = 1g
> >  AutomaticMount = Yes               # when device opened, read it
> >  RemovableMedia = No
> > }
> >
> > When I start the backup I get following message:
> > *run
> > A job name must be specified.
> > The defined Job resources are:
> >     1: Backup_vdrserver
> >     2: BackupCatalog
> >     3: RestoreFiles
> > Select Job resource (1-3): 1
> > Run Backup job
> > JobName:  Backup_vdrserver
> > Level:    Incremental
> > Client:   vdrserver-fd
> > FileSet:  Home Karsten
> > Pool:     Default (From Job resource)
> > Storage:  File (From Job resource)
> > When:     2010-01-05 19:35:51
> > OK to run? (yes/mod/no): yes
> > Job queued. JobId=70
> > *
> > 05-Jan 19:37 vdrserver-sd JobId 70: User defined maximum volume capacity
> > 1,073,741,824 exceeded on device "FileStorage"
> > (/automnt/backupdisk/Daten/Backup).
> > 05-Jan 19:37 vdrserver-sd JobId 70: End of medium on Volume
> > "Volume-0011" Bytes=1,073,678,784 Blocks=16,646 at 05-Jan-2010 19:37.
> > 05-Jan 19:37 vdrserver-sd JobId 70: Job
> > Backup_vdrserver.2010-01-05_19.35.57_06 waiting. Cannot find any
> > appendable volumes.
> > Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
> >    Storage:      "FileStorage" (/automnt/backupdisk/Daten/Backup)
> >    Pool:         Default
> >    Media type:   File
> > *
> >
> > Yes this true, the Volume-0011 is full (according to my settings). But I
> > expected that Bacula can create (and mount) a new Volume-0012
> [...]

John, many thanks for your reply.
Your hint was absolutely right.
What was my fault?
It is not important how many volumes are in the directory. It is important how
many volumes are in the pool.
By the way. You can ask for this information using the command:
*list pool
| PoolId | Name    | NumVols | MaxVols | PoolType | LabelFormat |
|      1 | Default |      15 |      25 | Backup   | Volume-     |
*

Thanks again.