Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-3 getting the lead out.

2010-01-05 14:25:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-3 getting the lead out.
From: Alex Chekholko <chekh AT pcbi.upenn DOT edu>
To: Brian Debelius <bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:21:50 -0500
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:38:47 -0500
Brian Debelius <bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com> wrote:

> I am using batch inserts into MySQL.  The database is on a different
> RAID1 volume.
>
> On 1/4/2010 1:21 PM, Richard Scobie wrote:
> > Brian Debelius wrote:
> >> Shamless bump.  Does anyone have any insight into this?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> brian-
> >
> > The difference between the dd tests and bacula backups is that catalog
> > writes are occuring in the latter.
> >
> > Perhaps you have a database bottleneck? Is the database stored on the
> > RAID also?

The next thing to check is the block size that Bacula is using.

Try increasing your Bacula block size and Bacula network block size.

Search for Ralf Gross's notes on LTO-4 performance in the archives.
http://www.google.com/search?q=ralf+gross+lto-4

Mainly something like this:
  Maximum Block Size = 262144
  Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144
  Maximum File Size = 5G

Keep in mind that tapes written with different block sizes will be
incompatible, I think.  So you won't be able to read your old backups
unless you remove that new block size from the sd config, I think.

Regards,
--
Alex Chekholko   chekh AT pcbi.upenn DOT edu