Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using the same tape for a daily full backup, overwriting

2010-01-05 08:56:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using the same tape for a daily full backup, overwriting
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: Anton Albajes-Eizagirre <anton.albajes AT starlab DOT es>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 08:41:51 -0500
Anton Albajes-Eizagirre wrote:
> I set the test pool (on test tape added to it) as:
>
> # pool for tests
> Pool {
>   Name = pooltest
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Recycle = yes
>   Volume retention = 1 minute
> #  Use Volume Once = yes
> #  Volume Retention = 365 days
> #  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
> }
>
> The problem is that after the first full backup, when i try to use the
> same tape to run a second one over it, bacula tries to move the tape to
> the end of the data and start writing from it, instead of starting from
> the beginning of the tape.
>
> How do I tell bacula to discard all the content of the tape and start
> writing from the beginning? Without manually purging the volume, i mean.

What you want is for the volume and its data to effectively be pruned as
soon as it's written, which isn't the easiest thing to do.  In your
situation, what I would be doing is set up the retention periods the way
you're going to want them when you go live, and then -- hey, you're
*testing*.  Just manually purge the tape for now.  Really.  It's simpler
than first trying to come up with a configuration to automatically do
something you'd never do in production, and then trying to make sure you
get every last trace of it out again before you go live.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.