Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using the same tape for a daily full backup, overwriting

2010-01-04 13:17:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using the same tape for a daily full backup, overwriting
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: Anton Albajes-Eizagirre <anton.albajes AT starlab DOT es>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:14:51 -0500
Anton Albajes-Eizagirre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set a backup system where i'd use a single tape to store a
> full backup on a single job.
>
> The first backup goes fine, and also the restore. The problem comes
> while trying to run again the full backup job with the same tape on the
> drive. Even if the tape is rewinded, bacula returns me an error saying
> that there's no volume:
>
> 04-Jan 17:18 adhara-sd JobId 61: Job
> testbackupjob.2010-01-04_17.18.47.06 waiting. Cannot find any appendable
> volumes.
> Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
>     Storage:      "DellPowervault110T" (/dev/nst0)
>     Pool:         pooltest
>     Media type:   LT02
>
> My pool looks like:
>
> # pool for tests
> Pool {
>   Name = pooltest
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   AutoPrune = no
>   Recycle = yes
>   Use Volume Once = yes
> #  Volume Retention = 365 days
>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
>
> }
>
> Should i set volume retention to lower than a day? Can i set it to 0, so
> i can run the same backup over the same tape one right after the other?
> (just for testing)

Where's the problem here?  You said, "use volume once".  You use the
volume once, then you try to use it again, and Bacula says "No, you told
me to only use it once.  You need to label a new volume."  It's doing
exactly what you told it to do.

If you want to run multiple jobs to the tape, you'll need to take out
"Use Volume Once = yes" from your Pool definition.  Or if you want to
leave that in, but you want to overwrite the tape that you've just used,
then you'll have to purge and recycle it before you can reuse it.

If you want to run several jobs to the volume in a short period, then
not use it again, try setting Volume Use Duration instead of Use Volume
Once.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.