Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 3 for RHEL and Centos 5

2009-12-28 14:53:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 3 for RHEL and Centos 5
From: Sven Lankes <sven AT lank DOT es>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:44:41 +0100
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 06:43:12PM +0200, Timo Neuvonen wrote:

>> as I wasn't able to find a current bacula for EL5-Type distros, I built
>> one myself by tweaking the current Fedora (3.0.3) spec just enough to

> It requires no tweaking.

Building the current Fedora-Specfile on EL5 does require tweaking.

> AFAIK, 3.0.3 binaries are not available for
> RHEL-etc, but 3.0.3 srpm contains valid spec for RHEL/CentOS.
> It takes only a single rpmbuild command. Been there, done that:

Well. If you take a closer look at the specfile you'll see that it's a
rather big mess with support vor various rpm-based distros.

The Fedora-Specfile is close to what a RHEL-Spec would look like if
bacula was included in RHEL (which I hope it'll be in the future).

Additionally being able to yum install is much more convenient than
installing a build-environment on some machine to build packages.

> Btw, 3.0.2 binary rpms are available also for RHEL. What's misleading, is
> that they are not under "rpms" but under "rpms-contrib-fschwarz" due to
> another packager.

According to bacula.org "Version 3.0.3 is primarily a important bug fix
update to version 3.0.2.". Which sounds like that is what I want to run
if I want bacula 3 (even without looking at the fixed bugs and crashes).

--
sven === jabber/xmpp: sven AT lankes DOT net