Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] BSMTP alternatives?

2009-12-26 14:14:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] BSMTP alternatives?
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:11:00 +0000 (GMT)

On December 26, 2009 at 6:21 PM Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:

> Mark McCracken (mailing lists) wrote:
> >
> > On December 26, 2009 at 5:48 PM Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:
> >
> >  > Mark McCracken (mailing lists) wrote:
> >  > >   Hi all, I'm running Bacula 3.0.3 on FreeNAS 7.2, and I really
> > want to
> >  > > take advantage of the mail-notification feature, but:
> >  > >
> >  > > a) I'm not running sendmail anywhere on-site (my house)
> >  > > b) My ISP requires SMTP authorization
> >  > > c) BSMTP doesn't support SMTP authorization
> >  > >
> >  > > The MSMTP that comes with FreeNAS does support it, but the mail
> > headers
> >  > > get all screwed up when I try to configure Bacula to use MSMTP - this
> >  > > may just be my inexperience with MSMTP and a cookbook would be really
> >  > > appreciated.  Worse, if I use MSMTP I get the dreaded "lockmgr.c:65
> >  > > Mutex lock failure" loop and the director crashes.  BSMTP appears to
> >  > > work cleanly, but I can't use it for "production" because of its
> > lack of
> >  > > authorization support.
> >  >
> >  > Can you get bsmtp to talk to MSMTP?  i.e. relay.
> >
> > Er... I dunno, maybe.  I'll start looking into that; do you have any
> > pointers?
>
> Start with
> http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Volume_Utility_Tools.html#SECTION0039110000000000000000
>
> look for -h
>
> Point that at your FreeNAS unit.

Ah, I see the confusion here.  MSMTP is not a daemon, only a command-line mail client (like BSMTP).  So there's nothing to "point" it to.

I think my problems go deeper than this, though, because I whipped up a little script to gently feed all the right headers generated by Bacula string substitutions into the mail message sent by MSMTP... basically doing what BSMTP does, but using MSMTP for the mail protocol handling.  The message went out, and looked fine on the remote end.  But immediately after sending it, the bacula-dir crashed with the same error messages that Lukasz and Bruno have been talking about in "run job problem":

26-Dec-2009 12:58:05 kinakuta-dir: message.c:612-0 Enter dispatch_msg type=1 msg=kinakuta-dir: ABORTING due to ERROR in lockmgr.c:65
Mutex lock failure. ERR=Resource deadlock avoided

(repeat a bazillion times)

Oddly, this doesn't happen if I use BSMTP (but then I have smtp-auth problems, so that's not an answer either).  It also doesn't happen if I use MSMTP from some other program (like, say, bash).  It only seems to happen at the intersection of Bacula + MSMTP.

Maybe this is a basic incompatibility between Bacula 3.0.3 and FreeBSD/FreeNAS 7.2, I dunno.  I've been running an older (pre-lockmgr) version of Bacula for about 4 years on a Knoppix system without issue.  I suppose I could set up some horrible contraption where Bacula sticks logs into files in a directory and a separate cron job MSMTPs them out every hour or something.  Yuck, but should probably work.