Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Has anyone tried MariaDB with bacula?

2009-12-16 05:59:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Has anyone tried MariaDB with bacula?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:56:19 +0100
On Wednesday 16 December 2009 10:54:21 Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> As the future of MySQL seems to be uncertain, and there is an
> alternative, has anyone tried it? Any comments?
>
> http://askmonty.org/wiki/index.php/MariaDB_versus_MySQL

We have not yet tried MariaDB, but we are following its development very
closely.  It looks very interesting. We have through our FSFE contacts
attempted to establish a dialog directly with Monty to learn a bit more about
MariaDB, but so far that has not worked.

We are not very pleased with where MySQL seems to be going (buggy beta
releases, uncertainity with Oracle acquisition, ...).

If you have a large Bacula installation (100 or more jobs nightly) we highly
recommend PostgreSQL. MySQL apparently does not permit multiple simultaneous
Batch Inserts. which can cause major bottlenecks.

For large Bacula installations, PostgreSQL is faster and probably more stable
than MySQL, but it does require more administration and good tuning to get
maximum performance.

Best regards,

Kern