Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir 3.0.3 dies on second job run or manual reload.

2009-12-14 03:33:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir 3.0.3 dies on second job run or manual reload.
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:27:40 +0100
On 12/09/2009 12:11 AM, Janusz Syrytczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded to 3.0.3  from 3.0.2 a while ago and I'm facing serious
> problems
> with bacula-dir stability.
>
> Just after its start,  Director is able to perform any request I have
> (perform
> a backup, restore, reload etc.). But once I've got the task done, Director
> stops listening me - the second job is not starting when requested. Then
> bconsole stops, I have to exit ctrl+c, but reissuing bconsle and here typing
> status dir gives that the backup is running.
>
> The problem is that the backup is not running. Director keeps it almost fully
> silent. When I try to reload through bconsole, I'm experiencing Director
> going
> like zombie - cannot connect. Debugging gives only this:
>
> atom-dir: bnet.c:670-0 who=client host=192.168.1.150 port=36131
>
> What's interesting, when I leave the Director alone it works OK, it schedules
> backups and performs them. I had previously suspected that something is wrong
> with scheduler as on before this troubleshooting I couldn't even get the
> Director scheduling, but since few days it goes right.
>
> This is the same issue as the guy here, but he hasn't found a clue:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg38279.html
>
> I've just moved backups and database, recompiled Bacula, recreated the
> database and started backups  but the same history goes. What this could be,
> anyone?

Don't know if it's your case.

We have same trouble here with dir hanging after having run the first job.
I've restart it with -d100 just to check what's happen.
In the meantime, on the bacula server (which has been upgraded from opensuse
11.1 to 11.2 ) I have found that postfix is
throttling ... ( missing relay.db file in /etc/postfix : issue a postmap relay
and restart postfix )
After that all emails are working.

As inside my dir-config message bsmtp are connected to the internal postfix,
bsmtp was hanging ! And perharps bacula-dir too.

I've now running three scheduled jobs, and bacula-dir have done it's jobs.

What I suspect is : there's no bsmtp timeout ( if it could not connect it
return, but if it connect and nothing goes right in
postfix (the throttling case) it wait indefinitely and also the director ....

I will leave this configuration running 2 to 3 days just to be sure it was that.

In the meantime, if you can check on your side, if you get some trouble with
bstmp to infirm or confirm.

--

     Bruno Friedmann