Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Monthly rotation strategies

2009-12-05 12:53:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Monthly rotation strategies
From: Craig White <craigwhite AT azapple DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 10:51:04 -0700
On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 08:57 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> Normally I would set up with weekly tape group rotations and Daily pools
> so that for a work week, I would have maybe 3 tapes for each day and
> more tapes for the full backup on Fridays. I would also have things like
>
>   Volume Retention = 17d
>   Volume Use Duration = 2d
>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 4
>
> to allow for tapes not inserted on time (Volume Retention slightly less
> than 3 weeks, etc.)
>
> Now I am considering a monthly group of tapes with maybe 3 groups of
> rotating tapes and that causes me all sorts of confusion with the ideal
> setup. I have an LTO-4 tape w/ changer so I am dealing with groups of
> tapes for each rotation.
>
> My thought is that the first backup for each cycle would be a full
> backup. Then the rest of the month would be an incremental backup.
>
> I think I could probably use maybe 61 or 62 days for 'Volume Retention',
> maybe 29 days for 'Volume Use Duration' and some very high number for
> Maximum Volume Jobs so that each workday's incremental could just keep
> getting written to the same tape until it fills.
>
> I think my questions are:
>
> - If I target the first day of the month to start a new rotation for a
> set of tapes, this date may come over a weekend or a holiday but I
> gather I can set the 'Maximum delays' to an appropriate value but is
> there a better way to handle this?
>
> - How can I ensure that the previous months tapes status is changed to
> 'used' so that bacula doesn't ask for a tape from the previous month?
>
> - Do I have to segregate the 'Pools' for each monthly set of tapes? Is
> there any reason to segregate the 'Pools' for those that are Full or
> Incremental backups when I want to keep the entire month together as a
> group for swapping in/out of the changer?
>
> - Does this seem correct...
> Schedule {
>   Name = "MonthlyCycle"
>   Run = Level=Differential Pool=Backup 2-31 at 9:30pm
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=Backup 1 at 9:30pm
> }
----
In the end, it seemed the simplest solution was in front of me...

I defined 3 pools...

Pool-1
Pool-2
Pool-3

and in the director, I set the schedule to backup
Jan,Apr,July,Oct to Pool-1
Feb,May,Aug,Nov to Pool-2
Mar,Jun,Sep,Dec to Pool-3

problem solved... just put enough start delay time to allow for the 1st
of the month to fall on a long weekend

Craig

believed to be clean.