Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] copy for offsite storage and then migrate to tape

2009-12-04 17:33:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] copy for offsite storage and then migrate to tape
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:28:42 -0700

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> wrote:
Hello,

03.12.2009 20:03, Alessandro Bono wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to implement a backup strategy where every week a full backup
> is done on a file storage, after that a copy is done on a tape for
> offsite storage (I'll use mailslot of hp storageworks 1/8) and finally
> migrate backup to tape
>
> To summarize I have 3 pools
>
> diskpool
> tapepool
> offsitepool
>
> I want to do a full backup to diskpool
> copy full backup from diskpool to offsitepool
> migrate full backup from diskpool to tapepool
>
> I tried but don't know how to specify NextPool correctly for the two
> operation copy and migration
>
> Is it possible to do this type of thing? Is there a better way to
> accomplish the same result?

As there is only one NextPool setting available, you'll have to work
around that, but it is possible AFAIK. (By the way - on bacula-devel,
there's some discussion regarding introduction of overrides for the
NextPool setting. You might be interested to join that.)

You can set up a "fake" pool with the second NextPool target, and then
use SQLquery as a job selection scheme. The NextPool is taken from the
pool setting, and the actual jobs to move are selected by the SQL,
choosing volumes from a different pool. Should work, though I haven't
tested it yet.

We will want to do a very similar thing as well. It would be nice to be able to override nextpool in the schedules section instead of having to go through that messy work around.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University