Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] backup and restore of exchange 2007 database

2009-12-03 16:54:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] backup and restore of exchange 2007 database
From: Steve Rippl <rippls AT woodlandschools DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:32:22 -0800
Hi,

I know there have been at least a couple of threads on this just
recently but I can't seem to clarify to myself what should be happening
here, so please forgive me if I'm repeating.

I've got a Server 2008 box running Exchange 2007, just in testing right
now.  We've been using bacula for some time for our other backups so I
thought I'd try it here too.  Bacula-fd 3.0.3 on the Exchange server,
the director is 3.0.2 on Debian.  I'm *not* looking to be able to do
bare metal restore, just capture the mail box and public folder
databases for potential mailbox recovery and disaster recovery (after a
server reinstall).

In bacula-dir.conf I've got...

# exchange mail database
FileSet {
  Name = "WSDMAIL2_mdb"
  Include {
     Plugin = "exchange:/@EXCHANGE/Microsoft Information Store"
  }
}

I'm not including anything other than whatever the plugin pulls in so
I'm thinking I don't need to exclude anything as the examples show?
When I look at what gets backed up on a "Full" job if finds the First
and Second Storage Groups (the default names for the mailbox and public
folder store) but all that gets backed up are a few log files, I don't
see the 'Mailbox Database.edb' file.

Maybe this is as it should be, but I can't get a restore to work.  I've
created the Recovery Storage Group, Mail database and set it to be
allowed to be over-written (as the referenced TechNet article
(http://www.bacula.org/3.0.x-manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html#SECTION003207000000000000000))

but a restore fails with

03-Dec 10:17 wsdbkup-sd JobId 10625: Forward spacing Volume "WSDF0035"
to file:block 0:194.
03-Dec 10:17 wsdmail2-fd JobId 10625: Error: Unexpected log file
'/@EXCHANGE/Microsoft Information Store/First Storage
Group/E:\Exchange\Mailbox\First Storage Group\E0000000282.log' -
expecting database
03-Dec 10:17 wsdbkup-sd JobId 10625: End of Volume at file 3 on device
"DiskStorage" (/srv/bacula/disk_pool), Volume "WSDF0035"

Do I still need to exclude everything in that director in the FileSet
definition?  Do I need to explicitly Include more?  The write-up says
"To back up an Exchange server the Fileset definition must contain at
least Plugin = "exchange:/@EXCHANGE/Microsoft Information Store" for the
backup to work correctly." and that does find the storage groups...

Any pointers much appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

--