Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] (Solved!) Writing too much data to tape?

2009-12-04 14:48:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] (Solved!) Writing too much data to tape?
From: Jason Selwitz <jselwitz AT vvisions DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:38:05 -0500
On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 08:50 -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> >> Do you have any GB+ files full of only zeroes?
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > Not that I am aware of, the majority of the data backed up is user
> > submitted production data so unless someone dropped some files like
> that
> > in there for some test purpose, I don't know of any, I recently
> > compacted the MySQL database however this issue had occurred prior
> > that. the only significant event that comes to mind is that the
> server
> > was moved up a few U's in the rack a few weeks back.
> >

> You can check backup sizes using status client or the bacula logs. If
> you see a job with way more data than expected this could be the
> problem.
>
> John

So it looks like I solved the issue I had where it looked like Bacula
was writing 10+ TB per tape. this issue seemed to only occur when I was
backing up extremely large file systems (2 TB, 10 TB, etc) and only when
attempting to back up the .snap directory on a FreeBSD file system,
apparently it was trying to back up all of the historical filesystem
snapshot data as though it was full size, this reporting a lot of extra
space on the tape, so excluding the .snap Directory fixed the problem.
Hope that is useful to others as well.