Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changer issue

2009-12-04 14:25:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changer issue
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 20:21:13 +0100
Hello,

04.12.2009 19:43, Craig White wrote:
> I am confused by errors.
>
> I could manually load a tape, label it, and backup on it...
>
> *mount
> Automatically selected Storage: SRV1-sd
> 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
> 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result is Slot 8.
> block.c:1010 Read error on fd=7 at file:blk 0:0 on device
> "Drive-1" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
> 3902 Cannot mount Volume on Storage Device "Drive-1" (/dev/nst0)
> because: Requested Volume "" on "Drive-1" (/dev/nst0) is not a Bacula
> labeled Volume, because: ERR=block.c:1010 Read error on fd=7 at file:blk
> 0:0 on device "Drive-1" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
> 3905 Device "Drive-1" (/dev/nst0) open but no Bacula volume is
> mounted.
>
> If this is not a blank tape, try unmounting and remounting the
> Volume.
>
> *label
>
> Automatically selected Storage:
> SRV1-sd
>
> Enter new Volume name:
> test
>
> Defined Pools:
>      2: MonthlyPool
> Select the Pool (1-2): 1
> Connecting to Storage daemon SRV1-sd at srv1.thinkcfd.com:9103 ...
> Sending label command for Volume "test" Slot 0 ...
> Invalid slot=0 defined in catalog for Volume "" on
> Do you want to label these Volumes? (yes|no): yes
> Connecting to Storage daemon SRV1-sd at srv1.thinkcfd.com:9103 ...
> Sending label command for Volume "000001L4" Slot 1 ...
> 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
> 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
> 3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 1, drive 0" command.
> 3992 Bad autochanger "load slot 1, drive 0": ERR=Child died from signal
> 15: Termination.
> Results=Program killed by Bacula (timeout)
> Label command failed for Volume 000001L4.
>
> and so on for each tape...
>
> Why can't I just label the tapes with barcodes ? (and I'm gathering by
> the error message reported to the console that bacula doesn't recognize
> that the tape has been loaded from the autochanger mechanism)

Item 1: Slots are (usually) umbered starting with 1, so for a manual
lael command, you'd do something like
'label slot=1 drive=0 sd=SRV1-sd pool=Default' in bconsole.

Item 2: Your autochanger doesn't seem to work with Bacula (yet).
That's usually a configuration issue... have you checked with btape's
autochanger test, run mtx-changer with appropriate input from the
shell, and checked what mtx does?

Either your SD configuration or the mtx-changer (configuration) might
need fixing - most autochangers do work well with Bacula and the
"normal" framework to control them (i.e., mtx, mtx-changer, and the
regular operating system device names).

What I see often are changing device names, which can be fixed y
applying some udev rules and using symlinks created by udev according
to your rules.

Cheers,

Arno

--