Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Remote Director

2009-07-31 16:43:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Remote Director
From: James Chamberlain <jamesc AT exa DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:36:16 -0400
Hi Bacula Users,

Does anyone have experience setting up Storage Daemons at different
sites from the Director?  I'm thinking that it would be really nice to
have a central console where I can see and control the backups of
other sites, but I don't have the bandwidth to send all the data to
the central location.  If I have a backup device and Storage Daemon
local to the clients I want to back up, I think their FDs will send
the data straight to their local SD, with the traffic to the Director
being minimal by comparison.  As near as I can tell from the diagram
at the end of the following page, what I want to do should be possible:

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/What_is_Bacula.html

I'm curious for other people's experiences with this sort of setup -
how much trouble was it, how much bandwidth does the SD actually use
to talk with the Director, what gotchas did you run into, are there
any security or permissions issues to keep in mind, etc.  It would be
nice if I could give someone at each site the ability to restore their
own site's files, but not files from other sites.

Thanks,

James