Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Remote backup

2009-07-26 15:37:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Remote backup
From: Keith Stevens <keith AT acsinc DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:33:48 -0400
I hope this isn't an old question. I did a little archive searching but
didn't find anything.
I want to do a FULL 50 gig backup locally (on the LAN),
from a usb drive snapshot of a remote servers data maybe
once or twice a year. Subsequently, I want to run INCREMENTAL backups
over the Internet. i.e. I don't want a FULL triggered in any
way for the over the Internet runs.
So the differences between the two backups would be
1. a change in the client config (IP address), and
2. initially there
would be no state file on the remote client server to agree with the
cataloged FULL job record created from the local FULL snapshot.

I don't know about director and/or storage daemon state files if any.

Does the backup level selection logic tie into the clients state file job
history or is the level choice completely director/catalog based?
If its a director only decision, will I need to make any manual
updates to the FULL job record prior to beginning the INCREMENTAL runs?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

--
Keith Stevens

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
However, this is not necessarily a good idea. -- RFC 1925