Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Migrating Files using Bacula

2009-07-20 14:17:43
Subject: [Bacula-users] Migrating Files using Bacula
From: "David Hatcher" <david.hatcher AT tanner DOT com>
To: <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:44:57 -0700

Hi All,

Just wanted to run something past the list and see if anyone knows of an easier way to do this.  I’ve been using Bacula v2.4.3 to back up my Window 2000 file server to tape.  This has worked out well and I realize Bacula is quite versatile.  My Windows file server has RAID 1 disks and I’m running out of space on one of my raid volumes, thus I want to replace a couple 200 GB disks with larger 500 GB disks.  I plan to use Bacula to back up my E: drive (which is on a 200 GB disks) on to my F: drive (which is on a 500 GB disks).  Then replace the 200 GB disks with 500 GB disks, create my RAID 1 volume, assign the E: to the new volume, then restore by backup job from the F: drive back to the E: drive.  The reason for the backup and restore is to retain all the file permissions on the E: drive.  Does anyone know if Bacula can allow me “copy” my files from my E: drive to my F: drive and then I can just change the drive letter of my F: drive to E:?

Thanks in advance,

David