Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Recycling Algorithm / RecycleOldestVolume

2009-07-04 14:22:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Recycling Algorithm / RecycleOldestVolume
From: Petar Bogdanovic <petar AT smokva DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 20:00:29 +0200
Hi,

while staring at the following section for quite some time,

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html#SECTION001130000000000000000

I still don't understand what the purpose of RecycleOldestVolume is.

If I follow the steps, line by line, I reach the conclusion that the
oldest volume will *always* get recycled first, no matter if R.O.V.
is set or not:

    (...)

 5) Prune volumes applying Volume retention period (Volumes with VolStatus
    Full, Used, or Append are pruned). Note, even if all the File and Job
    records are pruned from a Volume, the Volume will not be marked Purged
    until the Volume retention period expires.

 6) Search the Pool for a Volume with VolStatus=Purged

    (...I assume we're going back to [3] now...)

 3) Search the Pool for a Volume with VolStatus=Recycle and the InChanger
    flag is set true (if there is more than one, the Volume with the
    oldest date last written is chosen. If two have the same date then
    the one with the lowest MediaId is chosen).

 4) Try recycling any purged Volumes.

    (...)

11) Prune the oldest Volume if RecycleOldestVolume=yes (the Volume with
    the oldest LastWritten date and VolStatus equal to Full, Recycle,
    Purged, Used, or Append is chosen). This record ensures that all
    retention periods are properly respected.

    (...)

Did I miss something?

Thanks,

   Petar Bogdanovic