Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Heads up -- no Bacula encryption on FreeBSD Release 7

2009-06-20 15:45:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] Heads up -- no Bacula encryption on FreeBSD Release 7
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:42:52 +0200
Hello Dan,

This is to warn you that Bacula will probably not be able to be compiled and
run with encryption on Release 7 of FreeBSD.  This is because the version of
pthreads in that release has pthread_t defined as a structure, which is
incompatible with OpenSSL.  The OpenSSL API mandates doing comparison of
thread ids without the use of pthread_equal().  In otherwords, Bacula must be
able to return a thread id to OpenSSL when requested.  It currently does so
with:

   return ((unsigned long)pthread_self());

which is far from being elegant, but does currently work on all platforms
including FreeBSD < 7 (with the possible exception of Win32).

This will not work with the new FreeBSD implementation of pthreads. Perhaps
the FreeBSD pthreads developers have a FreeBSD specific solution for this
problem. If so, could you please let me know.  If not, Bacula encryption will
unfortunately not be available on the new version of FreeBSD.

Note, as far as I know this means that any program that uses pthreads and
OpenSSL will have the same problem.

Best regards,

Kern