Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] failing to build a statically linked bacula-fd(3.0.1)

2009-06-15 10:42:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] failing to build a statically linked bacula-fd(3.0.1)
From: "Arno Lehmann" <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:37:51 +0200
Hi,

Well, ...

> just read something about the impossibility to use "dlopen" with a
> statically linked libstdc++.so.6 & libgcc_s.so.1.
> ( http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005/06/static-libstdc/ )

That's one reason. As far as I know, there a others like some libraries that
Bacula needs only being available as dynamically shared objects.

> can someone please verify that "static" bacula-fd builds are impossible?

At least under current linux systems - other OSes and older versions of linux /
glibc / etc. allow static builds.

> its not that big of a problem to not use a statically built bacula-fd.
>
> the only benefit for me would be that i have to put less files on
> my rescue filesystem.

Given that most rescue systems require a load of dsos already, it's not that
bad, I think.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann