Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, XFS, and Inode64

2009-06-02 19:18:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, XFS, and Inode64
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 01:11:51 +0200
Hello,

02.06.2009 23:17, Walton, Bryan K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have an XFS filesystem that we are running out of inodes on.
> Therefore, we need to mount this filesystem with the inode64 mount
> option (this is a 64-bit Linux server running 64-bit Debian).  According
> to the man page for "mount", it says:
>
> --- SNIP ---
>
> inode64
>               Indicates  that XFS is allowed to create inodes at any
> location in the filesystem, including those which will result in inode
> numbers occupying more than 32 bits of significance.  This is provided
> for backwards compatibility, but causes problems for backup applications
> that cannot handle large inode numbers.
>
> --- END ---
>
> The Bacula client daemon running on the 64-bit system, housing the
> filesystem in question is a 64-bit application.  HOWEVER, the Bacula
> server is a 32-bit machine.
>
> Can anybody tell me whether we might encounter problems with Bacula if
> we mount this filesystem with the inode64 option?

Unlikely. Internally, Bacula uses the system-defined inode data type
for its stat packet. Depending on how you built your FD, the size used
may be 32 or 64 bits.

With a very simple check program that uses the same data structures
that Bacula uses:
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
   struct stat s;
   printf("Size of inode is %d bytes\n\n", sizeof(s.st_ino));
   return 0;
}
I get "Size of inode is 8 bytes" on a linux system running on x86_64.
I suppose that most unix(like) systems today use 64 bit inode numbers
already.

Internally, in Baculas catalog, the actual size of one inode doesn't
matter as all that stat data is packed into a base64-encoded packet
anyway.

I tried finding a file with an inode number of more than 2^32-1 on my
systems but no luck yet :-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann