Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for client removal documentation

2009-05-18 14:50:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for client removal documentation
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:46:27 +0200
Hi,

18.05.2009 17:05, Frank Altpeter wrote:
> Hi list...
>
> there once was an email about how to safely and completely remove a
> client from a bacula server. Since there were no responses, and since
> this was almost the only one I've found for this topic, I'm asking
> here if someone has a good pointer for it.
>
> Well, the problem is, bacula is quite perfect in doing periodic
> backups on many clients. But, as I've seen so far, there is no single
> pointer on how to remove a client completely. I mean, just removing
> the client definition in the bacula config files doesn't help. The
> catalog database is full of references to this client, and the jobs,
> the files, etc. are not removed by auto-pruning if the client is
> deleted. So, I once tried to just disable a client for some weeks,
> hoping that the autopruning would do the job of cleaning the database,
> but it doesn't seem to be very helpful.
>
> Any pointer on how to really completely remove a client would be very
> appreciated ...

Keep the client and related stuff in the configuration at first.

Then, list all the jobs that client uses.

After that, you use the 'delete job' command on that list (could be
scripted rather easily, passing the output from bconsole's list
through a pipe with awk and feeding the output to bconsole again).

After that's done, you can remove the client from the configuration
file and reload / restart.

I don't have a complete recipe here, but the above should be
reasonably easy.

Alternatively, you could also manually remove the relevant stuff drom
the catalog database, but I would be *very* careful with that approach
- it's too easy to miss some important stuff.

In any case, a run of dbcheck might clean your catalog of lots of
orpahned files or directories, unless you have clients backed up that
are very similar to the one just removed.

Hope that helps,

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann