Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] fileset question

2009-05-15 10:50:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] fileset question
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 15:46:35 +0100

> Here it is:
>
> FileSet {
>         Name = "XP_WS3"
>         Include {
>                 Options {
>                         exclude = yes
>                         RegEx = ".*\.lnk"
>                         RegEx = ".*\.mp3"
>                         RegEx = ".*\.wma"
>                 }
>                 Options {
>                         signature = MD5
>                         compression=GZIP
>                         WildDir  = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/My Documents"
>                         Wild     = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/My
> Documents/*"
>                         WildDir  = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Desktop"
>                         Wild     = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Desktop/*"
>                         RegExDir = "C:/Documents and Settings/[^/]+$"
>                 }
>                 Options {
>                         exclude = yes
>                         Wild = "C:/Documents and Settings/*"
>                 }
>                 File = "C:/Documents and Settings"
>         }
> }
>
> Thanks to those that responded to Robin Bonin's thread about a year ago,
> in particular Martin Simmons.
>
> I have two follow-up questions:
>
> What exactly is the RegExDir directive doing?  I understand what the
> regex is doing, but how does that help here, since all the WildDirs are
> getting "ored" together.. what does it match that the others don't?

The RegExDir matches the directories directly within C:/Documents and
Settings/ but nothing within those directories.  It is needed because none of
the other WildDirs match those directories.

Bacula walks over the filesystem from the File= lines and doesn't descend into
any directory that matches an exclude rule.  The RegExDir clause is needed to
allow it to descend into those directories, otherwise it will not even
consider the Desktop etc subdirectories.

> Secondly, does anyone else agree that it would be desirable to have the
> fileset look more like this:
>
> Include {
>        Rational_Filespec: = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/My Documents"
>        Rational_Filespec: = "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Desktop"
> }
>
> instead of the dog's breakfast?

Yes, but it is difficult to implement efficiently in more general cases
without scanning the whole filesystem looking for matches.  The current
algorithm allows large parts of the filesystem to be ignored completely.

__Martin