Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Btape test and btape fill

2009-05-13 13:09:32
Subject: [Bacula-users] Btape test and btape fill
From: "Hayden Katzenellenbogen" <hayden AT nextlevelinternet DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:03:04 -0700
Hi,

I am still busy trying to run through the recommended tape tests in the
Bacula documents. I am trying to gauge right now what process most of
the people of this list are using.

http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/problems/problems/Testing_Your_Tape_Dri
ve.html

1. I have successfully run the a simple tar onto a tape and then
restored it directly.
2. I have successfully run the btape test script and tested the auto
changer.
3. I have attempted the fill test and I get the following error whenever
a tape needs to change

Do you want to run the simplified test (s) with one tape
or the complete multiple tape (m) test: (s/m) m
Multiple tape test selected.
12-May 15:00 btape JobId 0: 3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot 3,
drive 0" command.
12-May 15:01 btape JobId 0: 3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 1, drive
0" command.
12-May 15:02 btape JobId 0: 3305 Autochanger "load slot 1, drive 0",
status is OK.
12-May 15:02 btape: Fatal Error at dev.c:1705 because:
dev.c:1704 Attempt to WEOF on non-appendable Volume
Wrote Volume label for volume "TestVolume1".
Wrote Start of Session label.
15:02:11 Begin writing Bacula records to first tape ...
Wrote blk_block=5000, dev_blk_num=4999 VolBytes=322,495,488 rate=80623.9
KB/s
Wrote blk_block=10000, dev_blk_num=9999 VolBytes=645,055,488
rate=92150.8 KB/s
Wrote blk_block=15000, dev_blk_num=14999 VolBytes=967,615,488
rate=96761.5 KB/s
Wrote blk_block=20000, dev_blk_num=4499 VolBytes=1,290,175,488
rate=86011.7 KB/s
Wrote blk_block=25000, dev_blk_num=9499 VolBytes=1,612,735,488
rate=76796.9 KB/s
Wrote blk_block=30000, dev_blk_num=14499 VolBytes=1,935,295,488
rate=80637.3 KB/s
15:02:38 Flush block, write EOF

I see that everyone runs the btape test to make sure that all the
essential functions that Bacula needs will run. How many people run the
btape fill test after they have run the btape test?

After I have run the fill test it gives the WEOF error each time a tape
is changed. BUT it looks like it completes the test successfully. I run
unfill afterwards and it reports that the data is correct?

Should I just press forward and start configuring Bacula (director and
File Daemon) and see if backups run correctly. Or should this problem be
fixed now to avoid issues later.

I have been following the "Tape MTEOM error with Dell TL2000 (IBM
TS3100)" thread (and chiming in). I have been trying everything that has
been suggested in that train with no change in this error. I see that
there are many people out there that are using the same tape changer,
the Dell TL2000.

I would like to thank everyone for all the suggestions they have already
made.

Hayden Katzenellenbogen
haydenk AT nextlevelinternet DOT com
NextLevel Internet
858-836-0700
www.nextlevelinternet.com

By the way, we are never too busy for referrals!
If you know someone who might be interested in our services (T1, DS3,
Co-Location, Voice) or who is unhappy with their Internet connectivity,
we will take exceptional care of them!