Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk based backups

2009-04-30 11:11:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk based backups
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:05:51 -0700
You are right to some extent. And I very much like your idea of using
the file "bkdisk", that is pure genius. I'll go ahead and implement that
in my backup system! Incidentally, you don't actually need a file. As
long as you know the label of the disk, you could also look for the
label using findfs LABEL=bkdisk. With that scheme, you could even forego
autofs and always keep the backup disks unmounted.

It was kind of my point, though: bacula doesn't do it out of the box,
you have to implement a script or the like. That in turn also means that
your manual implementation isn't going to play well with the backup
schedule, unless you - manually - coordinate the schedule and the manual
script. And because the script is actually not associated with the
storage device where it logically belongs, but with the job, you have
the maintenance issue of remembering to add it to each job. And you also
don't get reminder emails to change the disks the day BEFORE a full
backup (because there is no mechanism to know that a full backup is
coming up).

With bacula's tape support, you don't have to worry about these kinds of
issues.

None of these are huge things, and in the end the scripting etc. works
very well. But they are the reason I called bacula's backup-to-disk
support "kludgy".

Bernd Plagge wrote:
> this is not quite correct.
> In bacula-dir.conf you can define:
>
> Pool {
>   Name = Default
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Label Format = "ABC-"
>   Maximum Volumes = 10000
>   Maximum Volume Bytes = 1GB
>   Use Volume Once = yes
>   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> Volumes
>   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>   Volume Retention = 60 days      # bp let's start with 2 months
> }
>

> This will create multiple files each of a max. size of 1 GB. All file names
> will start with 'ABC-' followed by a number.
>
> A USB stick or a USB connected harddisk (they are becoming very popular right
> now) is a removable device. As such you want to make sure that it has been
> mounted before using it.
>
> For that purpose I created a file named 'bkdisk' on the USB device.
>  - not mounted:   /mnt/hdd/    -> empty
>  - mounted:       /mnt/hdd/bkdisk -> does exist
>
> Now you define a job starting before the backup which will check for the file
> 'bkdisk'. If it's not found we try to mount the device and check again.
> Obviously, you could do that with different devices as well. 'bkdisk1',
> 'bkdisk2' etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernd
>

> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:45:13 +0000
> bacula-users-request AT lists.sourceforge DOT net wrote:
>

>> Bacula *can* back up to hard disks, but it is a bit kludgy. For hard
>> disk backups, Bacula uses one file per volume, and your USB drive is
>> treated like a tape drive. Now you and I know that you can't take a
>> single file out of a hard disk the way you can remove a tape from a tape
>> drive. Bacula doesn't know that, and you may at times get a message to
>> insert and mount a particular file that bacula wants.
>>

> - --
> Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント
> First Choice Internet Ltd., Tokyo - ファースト・チョイス・インターネット(有)

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.