Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Tape MTEOM error with Dell TL2000 (IBM TS3100)

2009-04-30 10:55:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] Tape MTEOM error with Dell TL2000 (IBM TS3100)
From: yvan <yvan AT skywalker.is-a-chef DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:47:46 +0200
Hi the list !

I need your help !
I'm trying to setup bacula working with our Dell Autochanger TL2000 (24
slots, 1 drive), and I have pretty serious problems that drive me mad. I
can't tell the many hours I spent on that project.

The issue is that bacula has trouble appending to tape if it has already
written a few Gb on it, but when I test the drive and auto-changer with
"btape" all works like a charm. I tried many of the device resource
parameters, with no luck.

System: Debian 5.0 Lenny for x64 arch,  Bacula 2.4.4 (official debian 5
packages), Postgres db 8.3.7,
running on Dell Poweredge 2950 with 8Gb Ram, Raid disks
Tape system : Dell TL2000 (which is a re-branded IBM TS3100) autochanger
with 24 slots and 1 drive. Tapes are LTO4. Changer device is /dev/sg3,
tape device is /dev/nst0. Connected through external SAS.

The error I get is that :
01-Apr 10:40 setmseblx0007-sd JobId 89: Volume "000003" previously
written, moving to end of data.
01-Apr 10:40 setmseblx0007-sd JobId 89: Error: Unable to position to end
of data on device "IBMLTO4" (/dev/nst0): ERR=dev.c:895 ioctl MTEOM error
on "IBMLTO4" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
01-Apr 10:40 setmseblx0007-sd JobId 89: Marking Volume "000003" in Error
in Catalog.
01-Apr 10:40 setmseblx0007-sd JobId 89: 3307 Issuing auto-changer
"unload slot 3, drive 0" command.

Autochanger is working without problem, (mtx-changer script slightly
adapted to my needs). I have a bunch of 16 brand new tapes LTO4 to play
with. Firmware of both tape drive and autoloader have been updated to
the latest.

I tried using btape on my tapes, and btape reports that everything is
fine. Then if I backup a few hundreds Gbytes on the tape and try to
append on it, this error happens. If I try to run small jobs, everything
is fine and then bacula can append on the tape. I need to write around
60Gb on tape to have that.

Here is my storage configuration file :

Device {
        Name = IBMLTO4
        Media Type = LTO4
        Device Type = tape
        Archive Device  = /dev/nst0
        Autochanger = yes
        #Changer Device = /dev/sg3
        #Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c | grep -i tapealert'"
        LabelMedia = yes;
        ###
        #Label Type = IBM | ANSI | Bacula
        #Label Type = IBM       # ca m'enerve
        Check Labels = yes
        ###
        Random Access = No;
        AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
        RemovableMedia = yes;
        AlwaysOpen = yes

        # things to try:
        #TWO EOF = yes     # tried but append test fails. default is No
        #Offline On Unmount = no                # default is No
        Hardware End of Medium = no             # default is Yes
        #BSF at EOM = yes                       # default is No
        #Backward Space Record = no             # default is Yes for
tape device
        #Backward Space File = no               #
        # Use MTIOCGET = Yes                    # only need to no on
some ***BSD systems
        #Fast Forward Space File = no           # tried, not better, got
MTFSF error
}

Autochanger {
  Name = TL2000
  Device = IBMLTO4
  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/sg3  # already set in the device resource. both
are possibles
}

As you can see, I played a bit with the storage parameters, tried
Hardware End of medium = No, Fast Forward Space File = No (which raises
another error), TWO EOF (btape complains that he's not on the right
file), but nothing changes. I always get that MTEOM error.

Any idea ?

Yvan Broccard, Switzerland