Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Duplicate of backup on a server

2009-04-27 05:39:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Duplicate of backup on a server
From: C.Keschnat AT internet-mit-iQ DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:33:33 +0200

Hello,
I have questions regarding duplicates of backups. At the moment, I use self-written rsync scripts on a dedicated backup server which works in two steps. First, it collects all data from all servers and stores it on a local disk. Then it copies that data to rotating USB-devices. Let's say I have USB disks 1 and 2 and I switch them every day (just for simplicity, the actual setup is more complicated). In effect, if I want to recover data from the previous day, I just need to ssh into the backupserver. For older data I can get the external disks from another building. No matter where I get the data, there is always a full backup on a specific disk for a specific day. I began configuring bacula with some test cases, but before I go further, I'd like to know if I can implement this "double backup" and "all data everywhere" with bacula. With rsync it's easy to have all data everywhere because of the --update option. I'm not sure how to implement this in bacula using a catalogue. If my explanation is not sufficient, here is an example:

Files to backup on monday to disk 1: A, B, C, D
Let's say I make some changes to A  and add file E.
On tuesday, I then need to backup A*, B, C, D, E to disk 2.
So on wednesday morning I have A*, B, C, D and E on the backupserver and on disk 2, and A, B, C, D on disk 1.
Now I add file F and connect disk 1. So I need to copy files A*, E and F to it.

Would that work? Can I tell the catalogue to manage all external disks + the local disk with the duplicates?

Thanks for any help,

Chris