Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup with multiple tape drives

2009-04-22 16:52:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup with multiple tape drives
From: Benjamin Minshall <minshall AT intellicon DOT biz>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:47:20 -0400
Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Alternatively, you could also create a "fake" autochanger (beware -
> work included:-) with three slots, where each slot actually represents
> a drive. Basically, you'd create a symlink pointing to the drive you
> actually want to use, and manage that link with the changer script you
> use.

I see, so in this case, I would create a single-drive autochanger which points
to /dev/faketape and write a replacement script for mtx-changer which changes
the target of the /dev/faketape link to /dev/st[0-2] based on the requested
tape?

Along those same lines, would it be possible to create a three drive
autochanger with three slots (or zero slots?) and still use Bacula's internal
tape management features?  Since there are three loaded tapes and three drives
in the autochanger it should never request a tape to be loaded, right?

Thanks.