Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] lstat - how much of it do we actually NEED?(Comments please)

2009-04-17 11:16:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] lstat - how much of it do we actually NEED?(Comments please)
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:09:58 +0200
(sorry about the topic drift, Craig -- this will be the last message
from me in this sub-thread :-)

"James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au> writes:
>> oh, sure -- I'm only worried about the database schema update.  I
>> currently have 350M rows in File (90 days retention -- I'd like to
>> increase that, but ...).
>
> Never tried this before, but you could create a new, empty catalog
> and start using that after the upgrade. You can then upgrade the old
> catalog and then swap back to the old one once the upgrade is
> finished, or just keep using the new one and keep the old one for
> restoring from in the event that it is required.

good idea, but if I start with an empty catalog, the MediaId for
existing media will be wrong.  same goes for PathId, FilenameId,
ClientId etc.

I think I'll use a similar technique to how I'm currently doing the
MyISAM -> InnoDB conversion: create a copy of the old File table,
convert it at leisure.  when done, add the jobs which has run in the
interim.  repeat if needed.  when in sync, do the switch to 3.0.

I haven't looked into how much tweaking I'll have to do of the
conversion procedure, but if it's significant, I'll post my patches.

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game