Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Spanish Bacula email list

2009-04-15 17:16:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Spanish Bacula email list
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:10:36 +0200
Hi,

15.04.2009 22:09, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Kern,

> I have to admit that I feel sorry about such a split  of  the  commu-
> nity. Now we have an English group, a French one, and a Spanish one -
> with  more  to come? And more and more of interesting dicussions (and
> answers to questions!) will be missed by many of us just because they
> are somewhere else, in a language we don't understand.

I think that's only partly true.

Basically, I get the impression that, especially the roman language
speakers have a bit more difficulties with English than, say,
Scandinavian or German people. (I won't discuss if this is based on
language or culture...)

Thus, giving them a place where they can communicate in their native
language is definitely an advantage for them (provided there are
active and competent users available for support).

I expect that some users will be active on -spanish/-french as well as
-users, too.

> I'm from Germany, and my English is far from perfect. I  could  write
> my  messages  in  German  faster and with less thinking.

The point is - you *can* write in English, and you can read the
English responses. Others simply *can not*.

> But the last
> thing I would wish for is a  bacula  mailing  list  in  German.

Agreed - though that's mostly because most Germans working in the IT
industry have reasonable experience communicating in English.

>  Yes,
> native  language  lists  make  it easier for some people to ask their
> questions, and for some others to reply to questions, but at the same
> time they cut off the majority of other  users.  We  split  resources
> this way, and we fragment the information available from mailing list
> archives.

But we make information available to users who, otherwise, would have
a really hard time getting at it.

> Creating isolated subcommunities is a bad move in my opinion.  YMMV.

My Mileage Does Vary...

I think it remains to be seen if active, competent communities build
through the Spanish and French mailing lists. If that happens, I hope
those will be closely linked to the English communicating community we
have here.

> For me, this is a sad day.

That's a bit too strong for me, though I see your point, and partly agree.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann