Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] "status jobs" shows odd sizes

2009-04-09 16:25:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] "status jobs" shows odd sizes
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:17:46 +0100

> We're seeing some odd sizes reported for incremental backups. A 'status
> jobs' shows, firstly, for a full backup:
>
>    338  Full   19,796,396    2.916 T  OK       06-Apr-09 04:07 Client1
>
> That looks right: nearly 20 million files and nearly 3Tb.
>
> Now an incremental:
>
>    340  Incr      1,085    1.313 T  OK       07-Apr-09 13:10 Client1
>
> Just over a thousand files (believable) but 1.3Tb of data (not
> believable). That would suggest an average file size of over a gigabyte
> whereas the full back suggests an average file size of around 150K, which
> is much more believable. Quite apart from anything else, it's unlikely
> that 1.3Tb would even fit on an AIT5 tape.
>
> Whilst the backups seem to run successfully, it would be good to fix this
> erroneous reporting. Any suggestions for doing so would be appreciated.
>
> Bacula 2.4.2

Average file size is misleading, e.g. you might have a very sparse file that
is over 1 TB.  Also, AIT5 claims to get 1 TB compressed, so 1.3 TB of sparse
data could easily compress.

What does list jobs show?

You could also try running bls with no j or k option, which will list the
files and their sizes.

If this is an Linux system backup, then check the size of /var/log/lastlog.

__Martin