Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Schedule full backups without interrupting incrementals

2009-04-06 17:24:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] Schedule full backups without interrupting incrementals
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:19:45 -0400
Bacula 2.2.8 on OpenBSD 4.4 in a mixed OS environment.

I'm introducing tape backups into a disk-only backup scheme, and
trying to figure out what the best way to do so is. Right now, I think
the best option is to modify my schedules from this:

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Full 1st sun at 2:05
  Run = Differential 2nd-5th sun at 2:05
  Run = Incremental mon-sat at 2:05
}

To something like this:

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Full 1st sun at 2:05
  Run = Differential 2nd-5th sun at 2:05
  Run = Incremental mon-sat at 2:05
  Run = Level=Full Storage=Tape Pool="Tape Pool" mon at 10:05
}

The obvious problem is that the weekly tape backup will disrupt my
incremental/differential scheme. Is there any way to avoid this? I'm
probably just not thinking this through right, but it seems wrong to
me that a full backup to a given storage device would disrupt
incrementals on a different storage device.

Alternatively, does anyone have an elegant solution for getting
regular tape backups of all their clients without messing with
existing ful/diff/incr schemes and without duplicating jobs for all of
them?

-HKS