Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic volume numbering

2009-04-05 09:59:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic volume numbering
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:55:30 -0400
> On 04/04/2009 04:52, Kevin Keane wrote:
>> No, it's documented behavior. The numbers are actually the media IDs -
>> basically, the database primary key. If you deleted these volumes from
>> bacula completely, the numbering would start at 0005.
>>
> Documented where, exactly?  I see no reference to this in the Director
> configuration documentation.
>
>> The reason for this scheme is to ensure that there are no collisions.

This happened as a result of a bugfix. I am not sure of the exact
conditions that could lead to the bug but I believe deleting a volume
could cause 2 volumes to have the same label. There were long
discussions on the lists a few years back on how to fix this bug and
the current method was what was chosen by the developers.

John