Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Doubt on recycling of volumes

2009-03-26 00:01:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Doubt on recycling of volumes
From: John Jorgensen <jorgnsn AT lcd.uregina DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:36:12 -0600

    > If you want tapes around forever, I think your
    > best bet is to change the retention time in the
    > pool to, say, ten years (I'm not sure if you
    > can do an infinite retention time off the top
    > of my head). Usually, if bacula can manage
    > something, why would you want to do it
    > manually?

I have an observation about the choice of retention times for
volumes to be kept indefinitely which I can make most easily make
by simply quoting the Volume Retention comment from our archive
Pool definition:

 Volume Retention = 38 years # Can't find an explicit way to say "forever".
                             # We use "38 years" rather than a longer
                             # period because Bacula's pruning code
                             # (at least in release 2.4.3) does not deal
                             # well with Job or File Retentions long
                             # enough to predate the UNIX epoch, Jan 1, 1970.