Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 2.4.4 brings up problems with automatic volume recycling

2009-01-27 21:48:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 2.4.4 brings up problems with automatic volume recycling
From: Christian Balzer <chibi AT gol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:45:13 +0900
Hello,
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:18:11 +0100 Andreas Unterkircher wrote:

> We were using the 2.4.3 version of Bacula on Debian Etch for a long
> time and two days ago upgraded to the 2.4.4 version.
>
> Since then we encountered now the second day a problem with the
> automatic volume recycling.
>
> We use a backup to disk and have defined a pool as following so that
> every job ends up on its separate volume:
>
> Pool {
>   Name = DiskPool
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 40 days
>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
>   Label Format = BAC-
> }
>
> The default job-definition which is used by all our clients is then
> using this DiskPool.
>
> While this was working before, since upgrading to 2.4.4 suddendly all
> scheduled jobs seem to end up on the same volume.

I have been using 2.4.2, 2.4.3 and now 2.4.4 on Lenny.
When trying to do something like you AND having the
"Maximum Concurrent Jobs" statement in the respective Storage definition
(and the overall one in director and SD) larger than 1 I ran into the
same problems. Which is pointed out in the bacula documentation,
basically due to timing issues "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" only works if
everything is sequential. Which of course tends to waste a lot of time
when doing incremental or differential backups.
So in the end I caved in and have all diffs and incs go to a single volume
with a "Volume Use Duration = 23 hours" in the pool definition.

If your Storage definition looks like this, that is likely your problem:
---
Storage {
  Name = File2
# Do not use "localhost" here
  Address = storagenode.goat      # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "feedyourvampire"
  Device = FileStorage2
  Media Type = File
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}
---

Regards,

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi AT gol DOT com    Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services