Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude file contents

2009-01-19 18:09:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude file contents
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:53:51 -0800
Unless you have a very odd version of Linux, the terminal output is NOT
stored there. It's a device file. In fact, backing it up would actually
be dangerous to your health (or at least your system's health) because
on restore, you would end up deleting a device and replacing it with an
ordinary file. Unless bacula was smart enough to remember the major and
minor node numbers etc. - but why would it do that?

These device "non-files" are essential for the survival of a Unix system
- in fact, bacula itself probably need it already in place to access
your tape drive or hard disk - and are automatically installed every
time you boot your operating system.

Don't touch it, and do not, ever, back it up.

And if you do have ordinary files in /dev? Move them elsewhere. I don't
even know if it is possible to put ordinary files there.

So the real question is: why does /dev/tty12 appear to take up a lot of
space? Could you type this command and post the output:

ls -lah /dev/tty12

Mine looks like this:

crw--w---- 1 root tty  4, 12 Dec  6 05:01 /dev/tty12

The c means "it's a character device, not a file" And the 4, 12 means:
major node 4, minor node 12.

Stefan Sorin Nicolin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have yet another exclusive configuration need. I'd like to back up a
> file _without_ it's contents. I noticed that under Gentoo Linux /dev/
> tty12 takes a lot of useless space. The terminal output is stored
> there - somethig that I can very well live without in case I have to
> restore a system from backup.
> The only way I can imagine it right now is to exclude the file
> completely and create a dedicated restore jobdef where /dev/tty12 is
> created per runscript directive. This doesen't feel right though.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Stefan Sorin Nicolin
> http://nicolinux.org
>
> ---
> Unix guy, Mac head, Rails wannabe,
> iPhone Dev-ious, Computer Science
> alumnus, usability guesspert and
> overall big time visionary

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.