Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula in the press

2009-01-18 07:19:55
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula in the press
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:56:14 +0100
Hello,

I am forwarding this to the bacula-users list since I imagine this might
interest some of you.

Best regards,

Kern

Subject: Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula in the press
Date: Saturday 17 January 2009
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net

On Saturday 17 January 2009 17:39:03 Dan Langille wrote:
> Backup Central - Another open-source backup product goes commercial
> Bacula Systems is now the commercial arm for the popular open-source
> backup product Bacula. "It roams the datacenter at night and sucks the
> vital essence from your computers." I'm not making that up. This is the
> second open-source ...

http://www.backupcentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=214&Itemid=47

One major point that no one has seized yet is that the Bacula
Systems "commercial arm" is different in a significant way from other
companies (MySQL, Zmanda, ...).  That is, Bacula Systems does not envision
having a community version and an enterprise version of the software.  That
is: the so called enterprise version will be built directly from the community
SVN with only minor textual Bacula Systems branding.

That isn't to say that Bacula Systems does not and will not offer additional
services around Bacula -- certified and tested binaries, more frequent
binaries rather than patches, binaries for OSes not currently available,
additional documentation, improved procedures (some such as the one directory
install are not acceptable to most the Linux world), training, consulting,
funded development, ...

For example, one funded development resulted in the MS Exchange plugin, which
is part of the Bacula source code.  This development could not have been done
or even contracted by the project, but was by Bacula Systems.  The actual
programming was done by James Harper, and the funding to make this happen was
very kindly provided by Equiinet  (www.equiinet.com), and we thank them very
much.

Best regards,

Kern