Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mini stupid how-to restore mark all .bak file

2009-01-16 09:57:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mini stupid how-to restore mark all .bak file
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:55:35 +0100
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:15:05 +0100, Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
wrote:

> Thanks foo for the script (awk is not my favorite friends and have some
> difficulties to talk with it )
>
> Did you think it's possible to run this against a 50000 files results.

Well, like I said it's not optimized for large volumes, just a quick
workaround for up to a few hundred files. If you're not in a hurry you
could run it in a screen session :) (will probably take a couple of hours)

The '<file_with_names' restore option is useful to get around the speed
issue but even with the 'before a speficied time' bit you can't select a
specific jobid to restore from (it probably takes the newest match before
the time you specify from the latest set of full+differential+incremental
backups for the particular device you select), which means you might not
get the correct file. In either case you still need to create the file
containing the filenames. This should really be solved by fixing
bconsole's recursive file selection functionality.

You might also try creating a restore Job with an Include section with
WildFile arguments or something similar, I haven't tried that.

> But I've just found a way to have an unlimited history in the new kde4
> konsole.
> which save me ...
>
> Now just have to insert it in the bconsole restore command.

A copy/paste with 50000 filenames is probably going to take a large amount
of time too, and if there's even one problem (glitch where prompt doesn't
come back in time for example) you may end up with a broken restore. I'm
not sure how this handles special characters or spaces in filenames either.

> Really I appreciate the script, which would certainly be used one day or
> another.

Improvements are welcome :)