Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling volumes

2009-01-16 08:38:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling volumes
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Thiago Simoes <tsimoes AT lightcomm.com DOT br>, "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:35:56 -0500
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Thiago Simoes <tsimoes AT lightcomm.com DOT
br> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read the documentation but this is still a blurry issue for me.
> I have several servers and one pool for each server making backup to
> file volumes.
> I don't have much disk space so I set the volume retention do 30 days.
> The problem is: The volumes is not being reused.

Two things. If you change the retention period in the config file this
only applies to new volumes and not already labeled volumes.

Also, a volume will only enter the Retention period when it is marked
Full or Used.

http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

Use one of these to make the volume become Full or Used after a
certain # of jobs, time period or bytes written:

    * Use Volume Once = yes
    * Volume Use Duration = ttt
    * Maximum Volume Jobs = nnn
    * Maximum Volume Bytes = mmm

> The documentation said that Bacula will only recycling tapes when there
> is any new tape or any volume with append status available.
> But since I work with File volumes, there is always the possibility to
> create a new volume.
> I'm using the Use Volume Once option. This could affect the recycling
> proccess too?

That is needed. See above.

Can you post the output of

list media