Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Retension question

2009-01-15 05:40:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Retension question
From: Hans de Groot <hansg AT dandy DOT nl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:15:25 +0100
Hello,

I have been searching the net a lot but I cannot find my answer.

Maybe some one here can help me out.

I want to have this backup schedule

Full backup the  1st of the month
A differential backup on 8,15,22,28 of a month.
Incremental backups on all the other days.

1) I like to know how to confure bacula to  free the space used by the
incremental backups after a differential backup completes correctly.

I do not need the incremental backups made on the 2,3,4,5,6,7 day of the
week anymore so I like that space back for the week next incremental
backups.

2) the same for the differential backups. As soon as the next
differential backup succeeds I need the previous differential backup to
be cleared.

3) After the next full backup completes I need the space back  the
previous fullbackup took. otherwise it needs to keep the last good
fullbackup.

Of course it also need to free the space of the failed backups used.

I am using filetapes and have limited hd space.

Bacula  only seems to talk about days to keep. but just a retension time
of 31 days for a volume is dangerous. What if the next fullbackup fails.
The same for the incrementals, I might set them to 7 days to keep but
than I have 2 problems. 1 after a differential backup completes it will
still keep the previous incremental backup data for 6 more days. This
takes up a lot of space. 2 if the differential fails I wil loose my data
too because the next day the first incremental from 7 days ago will be
freed.

I think it should be possible to backup 2  25gb systems on a 80 gd hd
specially when using compression and doing a full backup every month.

Any help how to configure this?

Thanks

Hans de Groot

---