Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude file contents

2009-01-12 18:23:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude file contents
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:18:29 -0500
James Harper wrote:
>> Stefan Sorin Nicolin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have yet another exclusive configuration need. I'd like to back up
>>> file _without_ it's contents. I noticed that under Gentoo Linux
> /dev/
>>> tty12 takes a lot of useless space. The terminal output is stored
>>> there - somethig that I can very well live without in case I have to
>>> restore a system from backup.
>>> The only way I can imagine it right now is to exclude the file
>>> completely and create a dedicated restore jobdef where /dev/tty12 is
>>> created per runscript directive. This doesen't feel right though.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks much.
>>>
>>> Stefan Sorin Nicolin
>>> http://nicolinux.org
>>>
>> As /dev is populate by udev I always exclude it completely .
>>

> Have you tested a restore? If you are restoring to 'baremetal', then you
> might actually need something in /dev before udev starts, which is a bit
> tricky as it's 'under' udev...

Not necessarily.  If you're doing a baremetal restore, you already have to
have to boot some minimum OS before you can run the fd anyway.  What I have
done several times is this:

  - boot a plain old fedora rescue CD
  - copy the fd binaries, config files, and diskinfo scripts onto it
  - recreate the partition tables and filesystems using the diskinfo scripts
  - mount the new partitions on /restore
  - done a full restore with where => /restore
  - reinstall the boot load
  - reboot into the newly restored system

Since the boot scripts are designed to come up with an empty /dev and populate
it at runtime, all you have to do is make sure the /dev/ directory exists.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken